Thursday, July 18, 2013

NOTABLE WORDS (WORDS # 40)


WELCOME TO THIS POST!

A LOVELY PEONY FOR MY READERS! 

 

Click to enlarge


Source: coloredby, CC BY 2.0. Flickr



Here's my new list of words, starting with N.



NADIR



Noun, formal – The worst time in someone’s life or in a situation


The company’s earnings reached their nadir in 2003


♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

NEBULOUS



Adjective – Not developed or clear enough to describe


The project group thought the instructions were rather nebulous


♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣


NEGLIGENT



Adjective – Failing to give care or attention, especially when this causes harm or damage


Some doctors have been considered criminally negligent.


♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣


NONCHALANT



Adjective – Relaxed and not worried about anything


That student is very nonchalant about his graduation.


♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣


MY COMMENTS ON THESE WORDS


An interesting list of words! These are not words that used every day, so maybe they are not too well known. 

“Nadir” is not commonly used, I fear. I have seen it written in various works of fiction, in scientific writings and sometimes in news reports, but I have never used it myself or had occasion to do so. So this may be a new one for lots of readers!

“Nebulous” is slightly more well-known than “nadir” but I haven’t seen it used much either. I have very rarely used it in spoken English and I have certainly not heard it used very frequently. I have read it in fiction, but that’s about it. I think I would rather use “vague” although “nebulous” certainly seems to have more flair.

“Negligent” is definitely more familiar! I would say this word is used quite frequently at all levels. We can read reports in the newspaper about functionaries who are considered to be “negligent” in their work. Company managers also refer to their employees in these terms. Teachers refer to their students as being “negligent” in their homework, and so on. It’s not a very pleasant word, I’m afraid, but it certainly is used!

“Nonchalant” has such a lovely sound! That’s probably because it comes from the French language. Does anybody really use it, I wonder? I have read it in fiction, and I have heard it used in spoken English on occasion. I have even used it myself, but very infrequently. Maybe this will be a new word for some readers!

There is some good news for Spanish speakers. The words “nadir”, “nebuloso” and “negligente” all exist, sound similar and mean the same! That should be of some help, I think! 

Well, there they are, four more words taken from the lists provided for the graduate entry tests. So study them and improve your knowledge of English and your score as well!


See you on the next post!


♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣


A FAREWELL GIFT OF TWO LOVELY PEONIES!

 


 Click to enlarge



Source: coloredby, CC BY 2.0. Flickr

 
© 2013  joveron  (Joan Robertson)



I will be very happy to receive your comments! Just click the word “comments” lower down.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here! Thank you!