Saturday, April 6, 2013

VICTORIOUS WORDS - (WORDS - # 13)



HULLO!


WHAT BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS!






 

Source: Pixabay, Public Domain

 

 


VERVE



Noun (Uncountable) – Energy and enthusiasm

He played the song with great verve!


♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣


VICARIOUS



Adjective – Experienced through the actions of other people

It was a vicarious pleasure to watch them dance!



♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣


VISCERAL



Adjective -  Relating to basic emotions that you feel strongly and spontaneously

I have a visceral hatred for cheaters and untruthful people



♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣



VICTUALS



Noun (plural) – An old form of the word “food”. It is often used with reference to armies.

The men were running short of victuals.



♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣



MY COMMENTS ON THESE WORDS.



Another lovely collection of words, this time starting with “V”!

All four were familiar to me, but I must admit I have never used the expression “Verve”.

I have read texts that include “Verve”, but I really can’t imagine myself using it at all!

Writers use the expression “Vicarious experiences” but I don’t think I’ve ever used it in English.

If I compare “Verve” with “vicarious”, I think “Vicarious” might flow a bit more naturally for me in some future text, if it was pertinent to the ideas I was writing about.

“Visceral” and “Victuals” I have used at some time, they feel familiar and easy on the paper.

Another important detail is that both these words have a similar sounding form in Spanish. 

“Visceral” is actually written the same, and for “Victuals” the Spanish word is vituallas.

It is a fact of life that all four words included in this post are part of the recommended list of words for the graduate entry tests, so study them and use them to improve your score.



♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣



See you on the next post!



© 2013  joanveronica  (Joan Robertson)




I will be very happy to receive your comments! Just click the word “comments” lower down.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen "V for Vendetta"? I just can't imagine why I'd think of that after reading your post! ;-) I personally love learning new words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I laughed and laughd at your comment! There are so many ways that your word could be linked to this post, it was really a fantastic comment! We surely haven't become life-long enemies, by any chance? Remember there are 12 other posts on lists of words, so you can have a great time with them all! I don't really remember if "Vendetta" is on the GRE recommended list, I'll have to go check! Have a good day!

      Delete

Please leave your comment here! Thank you!