Sunday, March 31, 2013

GORGEOUS WORDS (WORDS # 12)




HULLO!


GORGEOUS CRIMSON DAHLIAS




Source: Pixabay, Public Domain
 

GAMUT


 
Noun (singular) – The complete range of things of a particular type


She published the recipes for the whole gamut of Andean dishes



♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

                                                          

GERMANE




Adjective (formal) – Relevant to a subject that is being discussed


That idea is not germane to this essay



♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣


GLITCH




Noun (countable, informal) – A small and sudden problem, especially with technology such as a computer


There was a glitch at the start of the video conference



♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣


GRUELING


 
Adjective – Involving a lot of continuous effort


The President had a grueling schedule that day



♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣



MY COMMENTS ON THESE WORDS.



This is a really demanding selection of words!

I’m happy to say I was familiar with all four, but that doesn’t mean to say that I have used them frequently.

“Glitch” has become relatively well known through the use of web pages and various web technologies. We frequently say that the webpage is showing a “glitch” or that there’s been a “glitch” when something has gone wrong with our computer

I don’t think I have ever used “Gamut” although I know what it means and I could use it correctly. It just doesn’t come naturally, but there you are, students are supposed to know it and to be able to use this word in practical situations on the graduate entry tests.

I have read sentences with the word “Germane”, but I confess I’ve never used it. I’ve seen it in novels, and I would suppose that businessmen might classify something as “not germane to this discussion”. I do know the meaning when I see it, but I don’t think I would use it of my own free will. Again, it’s a question of studying this word up for the graduate entry tests, in case it appears in a question.

“Grueling” is a more commonly used word. I might use it, but I think I would say something like “very heavy” or “exhausting” or “very demanding”. But be sure you know it and can use it; it’s on the famous GRE list of recommended words!



See you on the next post!







♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

 
© 2013  joanveronica  (Joan Robertson)

 
I will be very happy to receive your comments! Just click the word “comments” lower down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here! Thank you!