Saturday, March 9, 2013

SECRET WORDS (WORDS #2)


HULLO!


SINEWY

 


(Adjective)  Someone who has a sinewy body is thin and strong




The ballet dancer was very sinewy and flexible 




♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣







SPLENETIC




(Adjective)  (formal)  Extremely angry or annoyed



The opposers were always voicing splenetic outbursts




♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣





SPRY

 


(Adjective)  An elderly person who is spry is still very healthy and 
energetic



The singer climbed on to the stage with spry steps



♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣


SKINFLINT




(Noun)  (countable, informal) – Someone who does not like to spend or give money



Scrooge, created by Charles Dickens, is the most famous skinflint



♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣






MY COMMENTS ON THESE WORDS.





Looking through this short list, I think I would not consider using “Splenetic”. I would probably describe a person as being “red with anger”.  Or I could say “about to burst with rage” or “bursting with rage”.


However, as I’ve said before, the purpose of this word analysis is to increase our English vocabulary and take it to what is considered to be a good graduate level.


Therefore, we should try to use them as much as possible!


As luck would have it, I can´t find any relation to a convenient Spanish word for these choice gems!


“Skinflint” is a familiar expression for everybody who has read about Scrooge or seen any of the film versions that have been produced over the years. That’s become a famous expression!


As for “Spry”, that’s something I’d very much like to be! However I’m afraid I’m just the opposite, at least in my movements. Fortunately there’s nothing wrong with my mental processes, they still seem to be in good working condition!



See you on the next post!





© 2013  joanveronica  (Joan Robertson)


I will be very happy to receive your comments! Just click the word “comments” lower down.


♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here! Thank you!