Friday, March 15, 2013

BEAUTIFUL WORDS (WORDS #6)


HULLO!

 

 

 

Sky Blue Morning Glory! Beautiful!


 

BASTION


 

Noun (countable) – (1)   An organization, community or system that supports and defends a particular way of life, tradition or belief

                               (2) A place where an army has strong defenses

That political party was a bastion of the traditions and customs of the nation




♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣





BLUDGEON 




Verb (transitive)   (1 ) To hit someone on the head with a heavy object

                            (2) To force someone to do something by repeated arguments or threats

The General Manager was bludgeoned into accepting their offer





♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣






BRINE





Noun (uncounbtable)  Water that contains a lot of salt. (This same word can be used to refer to the sea)

The meat was preserved in brine.





♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣





BOUNTIFUL




Adjective -  (1) available in large quantities    (2) giving money, love etc.  generously

The harvest was bountiful





♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣







MY COMMENTS ON THESE WORDS



What a beautiful list! I’m happy to say all four were familiar to me! I have certainly used “Brine” and “Bountiful”.


The words “Bastion” comes up frequently in historical novels and non-fiction articles on history, and as I love history, I have often seen it in use.


On occasion, I have read the word “Bludgeon” in a news report, generally referring to some crime. I must say I have never used it in my own writing.


For Spanish speakers, I think the only connection would be to “Bastion”, because there is a similar word in that language. But I can’t see any connections with the other three expressions on the list.


As these words are all on the list of recommended words for taking English tests at a graduate level, you should study tem, think about them and try to use them!


See you on the next post!



♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣







© 2013  joanveronica  (Joan Robertson)




I will be very happy to receive your comments! Just click the word “comments” lower down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comment here! Thank you!