Saturday, March 16, 2013

DESCRIPTIVE WORDS (WORDS #7)



HULLO!






Source: Gerbera flowers, Pixabay




DEMEANOR


 

Noun (uncountable, formal) – The way you look and behave

Her demeanor was very professional





♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣





DIMINUTIVE


 

Adjective (formal)  Very short or small

The new teacher was a diminutive woman with bright colored clothes





♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣







DOWDY


 

Adjective – Not fashionable or attractive

Although she was of the nobility, she always looked very dowdy





♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣





DRUDGERY




Noun (uncountable)  Boring and unpleasant work that you have to do

All that drudgery has made me very tired





♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣





MY COMMENTS ON THESE WORDS




Another fantastic collection of words! I like them, probably because I found them easy, they were familiar to me!


I’m not too sure that I would use them when writing my articles; “Demeanor”, “Diminutive” and “Drudgery” wouldn’t flow naturally. I think I would use substitutes. 


For instance, instead of “Diminutive” I would probably use “very small”. Instead of “Drudgery” I would probably use “very boring”, or “extremely boring”.


“Dowdy” is a word that I have used. It’s very precise and conveys a very clear idea of what I’m trying to describe. It brings to mind those movies of World War II where everybody was dressed in ill fitting clothes. The hardships of the times obliged people to look dowdy!


“Demeanor” is rather formal. I’ve seen it used in fiction, but I don’t think I’ve ever used it.


The only word that would sound familiar to a Spanish speaker would be “Diminutive”, it sounds like the expression “diminuto”, which mend the same.

So there you go! Off to study up these words for your various tests of English!




♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣





© 2013  joanveronica  (Joan Robertson)





I will be very happy to receive your comments! Just click the word “comments” lower down.

4 comments:

  1. I shop at thrift stores, usually. I hope I don't look dowdy. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cyndi! Fantastic comment! I laughed for the first time in days! You could never look "dkwdy" not with your artistic taste! Blog Hug! Have a good day!

      Delete
  2. "All that drudgery has made me very tired" fits what I am like after I leave my place of employment every day...giggle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audra! I'm impressed! You actually found something to laugh about after reading my post! I didn't expect that, seeing as how it's based on gloomy graduate entrance tests! This has opened my eyes to the infinite possibilities of Blogging! Happy! Happy! Have a good day!

      Delete

Please leave your comment here! Thank you!